The UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (UCLA JCCC) is one of just 53 cancer centers in the United States to hold a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designation as a comprehensive cancer center. This designation is reserved for cancer centers with the highest achievements in cancer research, clinical care, education, and community-focused activities. As such, it ranks the UCLA JCCC among the top centers in the nation. The UCLA JCCC's mission is to accelerate discoveries that prevent and cure cancer and to transform cancer care in Los Angeles County and beyond by driving scientific discovery, innovations in care, by training and mentoring the next generation of cancer researchers and physicians, and by working with and supporting our community partners to improve the health of the people the Center serves.
Under supervision of the JCCC Director of Facilities & Strategic Projects, you will assist with the management of approximately 85,000 square feet of space, including BSL2 wet labs, dry labs, core facilities, and administrative offices and meeting rooms across three buildings. The Facilities Specialist is responsible for diverse duties ranging from addressing day-to-day building issues, to assisting with the management of laboratory and office alterations, installations, and moves. The Specialist supports building maintenance, including: UCLA JCCC-owned equipment repairs, custodial services, security, safety planning, etc., by submitting Facilities Service Requests (FSRs), Trouble Tickets, and Telecommunications Service Requests (TSRs) and ensuring they are adequately addressed/completed by the appropriate parties. The Specialist routinely assists with monitoring Facilities and CTS/IT billing, and project budgets.
In this role you will assist with managing access to JCCC space by distribution of keys, and oversight of building and room card reader access, and serves as card-reader programmer for two card reader systems (Schlage and Stanley WAMS). You will be responsible for performing access audits annually, or more frequently if necessary. The Specialist works closely with and communicates information to/between JCCC staff, PIs, building occupants, Facilities, and external vendors. In addition, they are responsible for performing equipment and space inventory annually, or more often, as needed.
The Facilities Specialist must be able to balance priorities, effectively multi-task, and see projects and issue resolutions through to completion effectively communicating outcomes, delays and/or other challenges as they arise to all stakeholders. They must have a strong sense of urgency and be a team player. Reliability and initiative are essential.
Under the direction of the Director of Facilities, the Specialist assists with and complete other tasks as assigned in support of the Center's administrative needs. The Specialist will collaborate with members of the facilities team as well as other JCCC members as needed for assigned projects. As part of the Cancer Center team, help colleagues as needed and as possible while ensuring that own work is completed and prioritize.
- Ability to efficiently manage heavy workload with responsibility for a wide variety of duties. Ability to organize and prioritize work within assigned areas of responsibility to ensure deadlines are met.
- Math skills sufficient to add columns of figures, calculate percentages, and perform simple financial analyses.
- Ability to file accurately and retrieve filed materials.
- Word processing skills to prepare materials, memos, letters, and documents with speed and accuracy.
- Demonstrated English writing skills to produce original correspondence, reports, and other documents utilizing correct spelling, grammar, syntax, and punctuation.
- Excel spreadsheet skills to prepare simple financial tables, PowerPoint skills to produce slides, charts, and other graphics for grant applications, and intranet and Internet skills to research problems and obtain information.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately with detail.
- Oral communication skills to obtain and convey information accurately and clearly, and to resolve problems with vendors, JCCC staff and other UCLA departments.
- Ability to use and maintain a variety of office equipment including a computer, photocopiers, laminator, card reader, fax machines, LCD and overhead projectors, calculators, electric typewriters, LaserJet printers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively under conditions of frequent interruptions, distractions, and deadlines.
- Ability to handle stressful circumstances calmly, effectively, and efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, students, visitors, vendors, volunteers, the public, and other offices.
- Demonstrated skill in working as a part of a team.
- Ability to maintain and update various databases, such as space and equipment inventories as well as card readers.
- Ability to transport packages and other materials to on- and off-campus sites.